By Helen Wilcox
- Represents an exploration of a yr within the textual lifetime of early glossy England
- Juxtaposes the range and diversity of texts that have been released, performed, learn, or heard within the similar 12 months, 1611
- Offers an account of the textual tradition of the 12 months 1611, the surroundings of language, and the tips from which the permitted model of the English Bible emerged
Read or Download 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
In Defiance of Time explores the emergence of antiquarianism in early glossy England, from its first flourishing within the mid-Tudor interval via to its seventeenth-century heyday. a colourful antiquarian tradition emerged, which reached past scholarly and historic circles, and had a profound impact at the literature and considered the interval.
Johnson himself wrote in 1782: 'I understand no longer that i've got written any other thing commonly recommended than the Lives of the Poets'. consistently famous as a big biographical and important success, Samuel Johnson's final literary undertaking can also be considered one of his so much readable and exciting, written with attribute eloquence and conviction, and from time to time with combative trenchancy.
This collectoion brings jointly a good workforce of ancient, cultural, and literary students to enquire the advanced, nuanced, and infrequently magnificent union and wish and dread linked to the determine of the overseas different within the heart Ages--represented variously by way of Muslims, Jews, heretics, pagans, homosexuals, lepers, monsters, and witches.
First released in 2005, this selection of essays brings jointly British, ecu and North American literary critics and cultural historians with various specialities and pursuits to illustrate the diversity of latest views by which George Gissing’s fiction might be seen. It bargains either heavily contextualised historic readings and broader cultural and philosophical exams and engages with a few topics together with: the cultural and social formation of sophistication and gender, social mobility and its unsettling results on person and collective identities, where of writing in rising mass tradition, and the chance and boundaries of fiction as severe intervention.
- Women's Life Writing, 1700-1850: Gender, Genre and Authorship
- Ecofeminist Approaches to Early Modernity (Literatures, Cultures, and the Environment)
- Iris Murdoch: A Literary Life (Literary Lives)
- Words, Stones, & Herbs: The Healing Word in Medieval and Early Modern England (Medieval Studies)
- The William Makepeace Thackeray Library: Volume IV - The Early Writings of William Makepeace Thackeray by Charles Plumptre Johnson & Thackeray: A Study ... The William Makepeace Thackeray Library)
- Colonial Girlhood in Literature, Culture and History, 1840-1950 (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
Extra info for 1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England
1611: Authority, Gender and the Word in Early Modern England by Helen Wilcox