By Richard Gray
- The so much complete and up to date historical past of yank literature on hand today
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama, and non-fiction, in addition to different kinds of literature together with folktale, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery, and technology fiction
- Explores the plural personality of yankee literature, together with the contributions made by way of African American, local American, Hispanic and Asian American writers
- Considers how our figuring out of yankee literature has replaced over the past?thirty years
- Situates American literature within the contexts of yankee historical past, politics and society
- Offers a useful advent to American literature for college kids in any respect degrees, educational and normal readers
Read or Download A History of American Literature PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
This variation of Thierry Groensteen's The procedure of Comics makes to be had in English a groundbreaking paintings on comics by way of one of many medium's ultimate students. during this publication, initially released in France in 1999, Groensteen explains basically the sophisticated, complicated workings of the medium and its targeted approach of mixing visible, verbal, spatial, and chronological expressions.
Whereas the male-dominated Francophone African migrant literary culture contains girls writers, there isn't any learn that attends to this subgroup of writers. The Pull of Postcolonial Nationhood: Gender and Migration in Francophone African Literatures pioneers the research of those writers as a class via an exam of 3 significant girls who exemplify the Francophone African girl migrant literary culture: Ken Bugul, Calixthe Beyala, and Fatou Diome.
Literature evaluation from the yr 2007 within the topic English - Literature, Works, grade: 1, college of Innsbruck, language: English, summary: during this paper i'm going to examine the movie Twelve offended males (1957) through Sidney Lumet. briefly the movie is ready a legal case in the USA during which a tender Hispanic boy is accused of killing his father and the twelve individuals of the jury need to choose his verdict.
Readers who're intrigued, even though frequently mystified, via the highbrow fantasies of Jorge Luis Borges will locate this e-book a revelation, a skeleton key to 1 of the main primary and baffling facets of Borges’s fictions: the development of symbolism with an internal which means. Carter Wheelock’s learn reduces a few literary and highbrow abstractions to concrete phrases, permitting the reader to appreciate Borges’s fantasies in ways in which exhibit them to be now not so great in the end.
- Arda Inhabited: Environmental Relationships in the Lord of the Rings
- Anthropocene Fictions: The Novel in a Time of Climate Change (Under the Sign of Nature)
- Writing Blackness: John Edgar Wideman’s Art and Experimentation
- Borges and Memory: Encounters with the Human Brain (MIT Press)
- Serial Crime Fiction: Dying for More (Crime Files)
Additional resources for A History of American Literature
A History of American Literature by Richard Gray